The Making of the film:
Spitfire Mk.F22 PK624
Engine: Griffon 61
Serial No./Reg: PK624
Sqdn - code: 614-RAU-T
Role in film: Allocated not used, Currently: Restoration.
Notes: not available for viewing currently other side of A505 stored in a shed type structure. Update Aircraft now under restoration unsure if it is for display of flight.
This late-mark Spitfire was ordered as a Mk.IX against Contract No. B.981687/39, but when built at Castle Bromwich it emerged as a Griffon 61-powered F22, part of the batch PK594-PK635. It was officially taken on Air Ministry charge on 19th December 1945 and delivered to No.33 MU at Lyneham two days later. It was still stored there in March 1946 and remained there until allocated to Vickers at Southampton on 5th December 1946 for a series of modifications. These were carried out at South Marston and the aircraft was complete and awaiting collection on 29th May 1947, being flown to No.6 MU Brize Norton by F/O Ford on 6th June. Here it was placed in store once again, eventually emerging on 26th August 1948 on issue to No.614 (County of Glamorgan) Sqdn RAuxAF based at Llandow. Its period of duty lasted for just over two years, and on 31st October 1950 it was flown back to No.6 MU for storage, passing on to No. 9 MU at Cosford shortly afterwards.
It is possible that this aircraft was being considered for resale by Vickers Ltd, Syria being in the market for F.22’s at that time, as in January 1951 it was delivered to Airwork General Trading Ltd at Gatwick on 25th March 1951 bearing the code “A-WY” of No.541 Squadron, a unit with which it is thought to have had no connections. The work was completed by 24th July 1952 and PK624 was re-delivered to Cosford two days later, being transferred to non-effective stock on 16th June 1953. The sale to Vickers-Armstrong eventually came through on 14th February 1954, but details of its life during the next three years are unknown.
Its next appearance was at North Weald in 1957, when it was attached to the Station Flight as the personal aircraft of a member of No.604 RAuxAF. It is thought that it was in fact privately owned but operating – unofficially- in military markings. The aircraft was abandoned at North Weald on the disbanding of the squadron in November 1957 and its engineless airframe was exhibited for a time at the station gate before being transferred to the Hillingdon gate at RAF Uxbridge, repainted with a Chipmunk serial (WP916) before moving to Northolt in 1963, where it was repainted in camouflage and given its correct serial. It is believed this aircraft was one of those allocated to Henlow for the film the Battle of Britain but took no actual part in the making of the film; it was probably used for spares and on completion returned to RAF Northolt. Here it remained until 1968, when it was removed for renovation, moving to Abingdon on 23rd July 1970, where it was restored in the markings of No.614 Sqdn as “RAU-T” and placed at the main gate. It has the maintenance serial 8072M allocated. It remained here until 1986 then it was placed in store at RAF St Athan.
In May 1998 it was procured by the Fighter Collection at Duxford. The aircraft was removed from storage in 2007 and is currently under restoration, or is it.
Current location – The Fighter collection, Duxford, Cambs - stored