Battle of Briatin Film

 
         
Home

The survivors home

Bibliography

The Making of the film:

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4


The survivors

Spitfire Mk.LFXVIe RW382

Squadrons:

Type: VS361

Engine: Packard Merlin 266

Serial/Reg. RW382, (NX382RW), (G-XVIA)

Sqdn - code: 604-NG-C, No.3 CAACU – A (Civilian Anti Aircraft Cooperation Unit), 609-PR-

Role in film: Static, Currently: stored

History

RW382 was built in 1945 and delivered from Castle Bromwich to No.6 MU at Brize Norton on 20th July. Here it was stored until issued to No.604 squadron RAuxAF on 1st April 1947, serving until 14th April 1950, when it was retired to No.33 MU Lyneham. Reactivated the following year, RW382 joined No.3 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit at Exeter (coded “A”) on 11th June, transferring to the Control and Reporting School at Middle Wallop on 17th October. Final retirement came on 14th July 1953, when it flew to No.45 MU at Kinloss, moving on to No.29 MU at High Ercall two weeks later. It was declared non-effective stock on 14th December 1954.

Following a year in store, RW382 was allocated to No.609 squadron at Church Fenton as instructional airframe 7245M (although it was painted as M7245 at some time) on 28th November 1955, being transferred to gate guardian duties at Leconfield as “RW729” in 1959. Here it remained until 1967, when it was used in The Battle of Britain, returning to Leconfield on 5th December 1969. Shortly afterwards, on 19th May 1970, it was taken to No.5 MU Kemble for a refurbish, returning to Leconfield on 6th July in dubious green/dark earth camouflage scheme complete with 1940-style roundels. This it retained when taken by road on 4th April 1973 to Uxbridge, where it was mounted on a pylon adjacent to the main gate. Despite its identity of 7245M the new serial 8075M was allocated.

On August 26, 1988, collected by Tim Routsis of Historic Flying Ltd.; sold in 1989 to David Tallichet of Military Aircraft Restoration Corp., Chino, California.   Registered to Historic Flying as G-XVIA on July 2, 1991, and restored to airworthiness for Tallichet, first flying on July 3, 1991.  Remained at Audley End until spring 1995, then transported to California for new owner Bernie Jackson.  Registered   NX 382 RW.

JUNE 3, 1998

RW382 was destroyed in a crash on June 3rd, 1998 in a remote river canyon in Nevada killing its pilot.
The Spitfire was being flown from Chico, California (after taking part in the Carson Valley Airshow) back to its base at Minden-Tahoe, Nevada by 37year old ex.RCAF pilot Thomas Jackson, nephew of owner Bernie Jackson.   Flying under dense cloud cover, the aeroplane hit the wall of the Blue River Canyon when, according to a spokesman from the Nevada Sheriffs Department, the pilot apparently attempted to turn back up the valley.  The Civil Air Patrol picked up a signal from an emergency distress beacon on June 4th and a Californian Highway Patrol helicopter located the wreck of the aircraft later that same afternoon.

Current location – wreckage with airframe assemblies IoW.

Back to top

Home | Bibliography Future projects The survivors home

Other Aircraft

P7350, AB910

AR213, AR501

BL614, BM597

EP120, LA198

LA226, LA255

MH415, MH434

MJ627, MJ772

MK297, MK356

MT847, PK624

PK664, PK724

PM631, PM651

PS853, PS915

RM689, RW382

RW393, SL574

SM411, TB382

TD248, TE184

TE308, TE311

TE356, TE384

TE476, K9942

NH904, RM694

TB863