The Making of the film:
Spitfire Mk.LFXVIe TD248
Engine: Packard Merlin 266
Serial/Reg. TD248, (G-OXVI)
Sqdn - code: 695-8Q-T, 695-4M-E, No.2 CAACU (Civilian Anti Aircraft Co-operation Unit), 610-DW-A, HF-L
Role in Film: Static, Currently: airworthy
Built against Contract No. B981687/39 with c/n CBAF IX4262 and was delivered from the Castle Bromwich plant just after the end of the European war on 11th May 1945 arriving at No.6 MU Brize Norton five days later. Here it was prepared for service and issued to No.695 squadron with the code 8Q-T. Damage was sustained on 31st December 1947 and a party from No.54 MU Cambridge arrived the same day, but the aircraft was not ready to rejoin its unit until 13th May 1948. By now the coding system had been revised and TD248 was allocated 4M-E, markings which it carried until transferred to No.2 CAACU at Little Snoring on 31st August 1951. A further three years service was clocked up and 248 was eventually retired to No.9 MU at Cosford on 27th May 1954. Here it was declared a non-effective airframe on 14th December and issued as a display aircraft to No.610(County of Chester) squadron RAuxAF at Hooton Park, arriving on 4th October 1955. It was painted in the squadrons codes as DW-A, but with the disbanding of the RAuxAF two years later the Spitfire was stored at Hooton Park until 1959, when it was allocated to No.1366 squadron ATC on 8th April 1959 as 7246M. It was moved to Sealand and on 31st January 1967 transferred into the care of No.30 MU, being placed on shoe outside the Officers mess. It was during this time that it is believed the aircraft was transferred to Henlow for use in the film the Battle of Britain. On completion of filming the aircraft was returned to RAF Sealand. The aircraft was refurbished in 1975 and again in 1979 being placed on a pylon by the main gate until 1988.
To Eddie Coventry, Earls Colne on August 1988 and collected from Sealand October 14th. Registered G-OXVI on August 22, 1989 and rebuilt to fly at Audley End. First flight on November 10th 1992. Sold to Karel Bros. Involved in a landing accident at Duxford on 11th May 2001, pilot Karel Bros was uninjured, damage to undercarriage, port wing, and propeller. The aircraft was rebuilt at Duxford with its first flight being on 27th May 2002. The ownership of the aircraft recently transferred to Spitfire Ltd and the new owner Cliff Spink decided to repaint the aircraft in more authentic war time colours, removing the silver and red 41 squadron air race colours it has worn for many years. The aircraft is now resplendent in 74 squadron colours of the 2nd TAF of around March to May 1945.
Current location Spitfire Ltd. Duxford, Cambs airworthy.